Monday, February 9, 2009

First Day in Turkey!

Merhabalar everybody!

This is Ben, writing to you from Ankara, Turkey!  I arrived safely and with all my various belongings at about 19.00 local time (which is 7 hours ahead of everyone on the East Coast).

I have only been in the country a few hours, but already I feel welcome and am starting to get comfortable.  I am staying in a dorm room with 3 other Turkish students for this week, and then I will move to my host family's house at the end of this week.  For the rest of this week, I will be having a cultural orientation in addition to the usual orientation you would expect at a university.

The dorms here are very similar to American ones, except that it is much more quiet (no Halo, TV, or Justin Ogden) and there is no decoration really (because this is a temporary dorm for students who could not go home over the break).  Until the start of the spring semester in about 2 weeks, everyone is just loafing around, playing games on the computer, downloading movies illegally, and doing typical college student things.

I have to go now—görüşürüz! (see you later!)

5 comments:

  1. Hi Ben!

    I'm glad to hear you arrived in Turkey safely. I still can't believe you don't start classes for another 2 weeks. What will you do until then?! I can see you're busy taking second time derivatives of o and u, so I guess that will keep you busy. ha. ha. I think I've been doing Dynamics for a bit too long.

    We all miss you and, like your new dorms, it has been strangely quiet in A-7, at least when I've been around. Maybe it's because everyone's sick... but I think that's only one of the reasons. Have fun in the time before classes start, and I'm looking forward to your next blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Görüşürüz"...oh dear. Hope you brought your old toothbrush...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beeeeennn!

    It is so good to hear from you! It's not like I miss you or anything... I agree with Maureen. Things are much quieter here without you, and that is definitely missed.

    I am glad that you are comfortable there. For most people, jumping into a new culture is extremely challenging and frightening. Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself and making the most of it. I can't wait for loads of exciting stories with a twist of the Reimold humor.
    p.s. I am extremely jealous of your quiet dorms haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ben!!!

    So it's kind of cool to be reading someone else's blog!! Blogspot has been fickle lately, but maybe your internet is better than here so, hopefully that won't be a problem.

    It's cool to here what you're doing, and at least from my experiencem things get even cooler once you move in with your host family. You'll have to update us on how that goes.

    Can't wait to hear how your exploration of Ankara goes and what trouble you manage to find! haha.

    Love,
    Mel

    PS- If you're seven hours ahead of the US, then I'm only two hours ahead of you. Skype or gchat sometime?

    ReplyDelete
  5. BOOGER BOY
    RESPOND TO EMAILS
    I WILL MAIL YOU SOME COCROACHES IF YOU DONT
    I THINK I LOVE YOU
    OKAY BYE


    ABI

    ReplyDelete